How is technology used in Speech Pathology, specifically in therapy?
- Many educational apps can easily be incorporated into the therapy setting and can be used to collect data, record conversational samples, motivate students or to be used as an augmentative assistive communication device.
- Speech pathologists are beginning to incorporate more technology within speech therapy. Speech pathologists are exposing students to new and different technologies while working towards language and speech goals, which will help children adapt to a future involving continued use of technology.
- The use of technology will keep the students attentive and motivated which will help in the efficiency of treatment of the students speech/language disorders. It is important for the speech pathologists to keep an eye on the ever growing technology, because the technology devoted to speech/language pathology is just beginning.
- Tablets and apps are being used as therapy tools in speech therapy. Tablets are fun and motivate patients to keep on practicing, even when exercises become repetitious. Clients want to use the tablet, and a motivated client is an improving client. Because tablets are so versatile, they allow the speech pathologist to use them with people who have a wide range of diagnoses and needs. Tablets are also portable and light, which means the speech therapist can take his or her tablet from client to client. There are many different apps that are available for therapists to use within therapy sessions.
- The tablet allows the speech therapist to use the different apps to captivate and work with the client no matter their age or diagnoses.